Wooo! I am beyond excited for the return of the Corvette Stingray! When I was young, our neighbor had a candy apple red, 76 Corvette Stingray and I fell in love. The vette’ has always held a special place in my heart, but the Stingray, well, the Stingray is my Mona Lisa. Isn’t she lovely.
The 2014 Corvette Stingray is the most powerful standard model ever. This bad lady posses an estimated 460 horsepower and 450 lb.-ft. of torque. She can scorch the road too, going from 0-60 in 3.8 seconds and achieve more than 1g in cornering grip. Oh and she doesn’t sip too much gas either, the most fuel efficient Corvette ever getting an EPA-estimated 29 MPG.
“Like the ’63 Sting Ray, the best Corvettes embodied performance leadership, delivering cutting-edge technologies, breathtaking design and awe-inspiring driving experiences,” said GM North America President Mark Reuss. “The all-new Corvette goes farther than ever, thanks to today’s advancements in design, technology and engineering.”
Here are some notes from Chevrolet.com:
The all-new Corvette Stingray shares only two parts with the previous generation. It incorporates an all-new frame structure and chassis, a new powertrain and supporting technologies, as well as completely new exterior and interior designs. Highlights include:
- An interior that includes real carbon fiber, aluminum and hand-wrapped leather materials, two new seat choices – each featuring a lightweight magnesium frame for exceptional support – and dual eight-inch configurable driver/infotainment screens
- Advanced driver technologies, including a five-position Drive Mode Selector that tailors 12 vehicle attributes to the fit the driver’s environment and a new seven-speed manual transmission with Active Rev Matching that anticipates gear selections and matches engine speed for perfect shifts every time
- An all-new 6.2L LT1 V-8 engine combines advanced technologies, including direct injection, Active Fuel Management, continuously variable valve timing and an advanced combustion system that delivers more power while using less fuel
- Lightweight materials, including a carbon fiber hood and roof panel; composite fenders, doors and rear quarter panels; carbon-nano composite underbody panels and a new aluminum frame help shift weight rearward for an optimal 50/50 weight balance that supports a world-class power-to-weight ratio
- A sculptured exterior features advanced high-intensity discharge and light-emitting diode lighting and racing-proven aerodynamics that balance low drag for efficiency and performance elements for improved stability and track capability
- Track-capable Z51 Performance Package including: an electronic limited-slip differential, dry-sump oiling system, integral brake, differential and transmission cooling, as well as a unique aero package that further improves high-speed stability
Needless to say again, I am excited. Now, I am on a mission to come up with $62,000 to get the Z51 version. If you would like to learn more about the new Stingray, check out this great video here. You can go on a biometric test drive. It’s a lot of fun!
Until next time friends!